We are the proud new owners of Jazz and Bumblebee - two goldfish, and Jeff - a hermit crab, all thanks to a trip to the Kitsap County Fair this weekend with cousin Alexandria. Thanks a lot Alexandria, like my life wasn't complicated enough already. I lost an entire night's sleep worried that the poor creatures wouldn't survive the first night without all the proper accouterments. I have since gone out and bought Jazz and Bumblebee a beautiful new tank that is quite the impressive upgrade from the plastic bags they began their lives in, but I can't quite figure out what to do with Jeff. I have done some Internet research and I just don't think I can provide a proper home to poor Jeff. Apparently, the small plastic "crabitats" that they come home in are completely inadequate to sustain life. Land hermit crabs need a very specific temperature and humidity to survive. They also need water treated like you would for a fish tank, not normal tap water, and sometimes salt water. Who knew? The prospect of caring for this little guy is more than I can take. Unfortunately, I read enough to learn that my inability (and admittedly unwillingness) to provide a proper environment to him will cause a slow and languishing death by suffocation. I really didn't need to know this! Yes, I've already checked out Craig's list for cheap fish tanks that I could outfit with a heater and humidity gauge, but that was before I learned about the fungus gnats that will surely infest his habitat. This just keeps getting worse. He is currently enjoying a diet of organic vegetables fresh from my garden, but I think this may be the best I can do for him, and he should appreciate his last meals. Maybe I'll cook the little omnivore scavenger a Fillet Mignon tomorrow to assuage my guilt a little more.
Monday, August 25, 2008
New Family Members
We are the proud new owners of Jazz and Bumblebee - two goldfish, and Jeff - a hermit crab, all thanks to a trip to the Kitsap County Fair this weekend with cousin Alexandria. Thanks a lot Alexandria, like my life wasn't complicated enough already. I lost an entire night's sleep worried that the poor creatures wouldn't survive the first night without all the proper accouterments. I have since gone out and bought Jazz and Bumblebee a beautiful new tank that is quite the impressive upgrade from the plastic bags they began their lives in, but I can't quite figure out what to do with Jeff. I have done some Internet research and I just don't think I can provide a proper home to poor Jeff. Apparently, the small plastic "crabitats" that they come home in are completely inadequate to sustain life. Land hermit crabs need a very specific temperature and humidity to survive. They also need water treated like you would for a fish tank, not normal tap water, and sometimes salt water. Who knew? The prospect of caring for this little guy is more than I can take. Unfortunately, I read enough to learn that my inability (and admittedly unwillingness) to provide a proper environment to him will cause a slow and languishing death by suffocation. I really didn't need to know this! Yes, I've already checked out Craig's list for cheap fish tanks that I could outfit with a heater and humidity gauge, but that was before I learned about the fungus gnats that will surely infest his habitat. This just keeps getting worse. He is currently enjoying a diet of organic vegetables fresh from my garden, but I think this may be the best I can do for him, and he should appreciate his last meals. Maybe I'll cook the little omnivore scavenger a Fillet Mignon tomorrow to assuage my guilt a little more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a great family addition!
You are very brave with the goldfish! Good luck with the crab!
Pretty funny. Lesson learned: Goldfish, OK. No on hermit crabs, got it. Got to know when to hold-fast at those fairs!
That is the FUNNIEST post I have read in a long time! Sadly, I know this is EXACTLY how your mind works, that you really did stress out and lose sleep and look all that crap up on the internet!
Sis, relax, just buy a cheap-ass tank and let Mason enjoy his pets! They may outlast Ty!
Post a Comment