Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Growth Spurt

We were only gone 4 days, but my tomatoes and artichokes are HUGE! (Far right in photo) They were touching the lights when I got home, so they must have grown at least 3 inches. (I guess that is what I get for fertilizing them before I left.) I can't wait until it warms up a bit- or a lot, and I can get them out of my laundry room. I've also got nasturtiums, mini bell peppers , cosmos and some herbs - basil, cilantro and sweet marjoram started in there. In case anyone is trying this at home, my cilantro that I direct seeded in my garden back in March is doing better than my "greenhouse" starts.

2 comments:

Laura said...

So THAT's your secret... you have a special lamp. Man, you are good.

The Loidhamer Family said...

It is far from a special lamp - just a run of the mill fluorescent from the hardware store (do they have hardware stores in Germany?). Ours used to hang in our garage before I re-purposed it. You have to rig it up so you can raise it as the plants grow (I use very simple chains) and the other trick is you have to beat them up a bit... Brush your hands across the plants every day to simulate wind and other harsh conditions they might encounter in the real world. It strengthens the plant and signals the stem to grow thicker. It is not too late to make a big improvement in your plants. You can re-pot them and plant them deeper (up to the first true leaves) they will root from the stem up to that point. Then get a light on them. Voila!